Royal Troon

[rev_slider alias="Royaltroon"]

Troon Golf Club was founded in 1878 and one hundred years later, in their Centenary Year the Club was accorded Royal status and would be known as Royal Troon Golf Club. The Old Course at Royal Troon, began as a five-hole course laid-out by Charles Hunter, the Keeper of the Green at Prestwick Golf Club.

The course’s early development was in stages becoming six holes, and then twelve holes with the eighteen-hole links laid out by the Club’s first Professional George Strath, being completed for play in 1883. The next major changes took place in 1910 when the Club’s second Professional, and 1883 Open Champion Willie Fernie created the world famous 8th or Postage Stamp and the equally well-known 11th or Railway Hole. Previously the 8th was a blind hole and following its re-location measures 123-yards, ranked as one of the top Par 3 holes in the world and the shortest hole in Open Championship golf. Since then the changes to the Old Course have been mainly related to hosting the Open Championship and to facilitating improved crowd control.  The Old Course is a challenging test to all golfers with the inward nine widely accepted as the most demanding of any course on the Open Championship Rota, particularly into a fresh north-westerly, the prevailing wind.The Club has played host to nine Open Championships, one Senior Open Championship, six Amateur Championships and four Ladies Amateur Championships, with an outstanding list of former Champions. In 2016, Royal Troon hosted the Open Championship which produced one of the most dramatic Final Day duels in Open history, with Henrik Stenson prevailing over Phil Mickelson to win his first major title, in what is now known as “The Duel of the ‘sons”.

If you would like to know more about this course, please get in touch.

Back to coursesContact Us